Thursday, May 19, 2005

Cruel Irony (lose vs. loose)



Lately, I have been working on a feature that involves an animated tray icon. I am completely the suck as an icon artist, but I downloaded Axialis IconWorkshop and fell in love with it. I feel in love with it to that point that I even bought it. And who couldn't? Good features, a sexy and functional UI...

Here is the cruel and ironic part: That sexy collection of zeros and ones presented me with the above dialog. Yes, there is a grammatical error. Some people might have to read is several times to notice it. Not me though, the whole "lose/loose" issue is like a red hot spike being driven into my eye, turned, withdrawn slowly--effectively cauterizing the wound so I have no hope of bleeding out, and then repeated several times. It seems more people get this wrong than right.

Well, I am no Webster, but let me take a stab:

loose - not tight

lose - unsuccessfully retaining possession

2 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

If more engineers would ask tech writers to conduct usability tests on their UIs instead of assuming perfection every time, these mistakes could be caught and corrected. :-)

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a simple grammatical error or another example of All-your-base-are-belong-to-us syndrome?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home