Friday, December 17, 2004

Succumbing to Tech Savvy Trends

So, gus uped his hertz. This has caused me to reflect on the computers in my life. Here's a summary.

Home desktop - Dell 8250
  • Pentium 4 somewhere around 2.5 GHz
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • 80GB and 60GB hard drive

Home desktop 2 - Custom built from monarchcomputer.com and tigerdirect.com (Note: I am in no way affiliated with these sites. I am just a satisfied customer turned evangelist.)
  • Athalon 64 (no clue on clock speed)
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 60GB IDE and 100GB Serial ATA

Work desktop - Dell Precision Workstation
  • Dual 2.0 GHz Xeon Processors
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 80 GB hard drive

Work laptop - Dell latitude C840
  • Pentium IV 2.2 GHz
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 60 GB hard drive


So why have I bored you with the specs of my computers? Because I am a dick. No, wait, it was to underscore my computational lust. You see, with all this processing power at my disposal, I am seriously considering buying another computer. Actually, a tablet pc to be more precise.

See, I am a single guy without loved ones (well, my dad and sisters), so if I want something cool for Christmas, I had better damn well buy it myself. So far, the leading candidate is the Toshiba M200, but I am still researching. So if either of my readers have experience with tablets, please give me your take.

The other "trend" I am close to succumbing to is podcasting. Well, I suppose I have partially succumbed already since I have been listening to podcasts for awhile, but I am considering going from podcast consumer to podcast producer by launching a fantasy football podcast. I wish I had started earlier in the season, but I am considering playing fantasy Arena Football in the spring, which would provide supplemental content while continuing to cover NFL offseason movements.

So, if anyone has any tips for starting podcasts or good web hosting providers, drop me a line. Can anyone point me to the breakout box Adam Curry uses for The Daily Source Code?

Okay, now I am really starting to digress, but it's my blog, damnit, and I will talk about what I want. For people that aren't listening to podcasts right now, I would suggest the following for a start:
  • The Daily Source Code - Pretty interesting. My first listen was severe deja vu. It took me back to a period when I believed MTV was cool, but I didn't hold it against Adam.
  • The Dawn and Drew Show - Goofy, fun, well produced, but still raw.
  • Coverville - Coverville is show that plays a lot of obscure cover songs. It didn't seem like something I would be into, but I gave it a listen and was completely taken aback. It also informed me that Ben Folds produced William Shatner's CD, which I thought was cool being a big Ben Folds fan and all. I suppose I should credit Adam as well, but I am turning into a big fan of the Lascivious Biddies. Coverville is a great show that should please music lovers and music snobs alike.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Razz Master said...

Right before I left, Lurker Todd came by and showed me his tablet PC. He was pretty stoked about it and even though he can be creepy/stalkeresque, he may know something about tablet pcs.

Also, I guess being in LA, KROQ gets a lot of (I almost said cool) people in their studio in the morning. So one day I'm listening and it is William Shatner plugging his new CD and Ben Folds is on there providing comic relief. They played some stuff from it and musically it's kind of cool because it's Ben and all but Shatner talking is scary. Ben even sings on some of the songs, but I don't think I would run out and purchase it anytime soon (ever).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home