Sunday, November 06, 2005

Bowling App Update

Coding has slowed down at work, but it has significantly picked up at home. I have been putting a fair amount of work into my bowling tracking application for my phone.

First off, I have name for the application, "Brandt", after the late great Allie Brandt. Allie Brandt bowled record 886 three game sanctioned series in 1939. That record stood for nearly six decades. He bowled that set long before urethane, reactive resin, and all of the other crutches that allow certain off the corner bowlers think they are good enough to average 220.

These screen shots are of the PC-build since I can't take screenshots of my phone, and I haven't ported the application back to the phone yet anyway. I am going to show my high game of bowling, which also happens to demo a number of the (near) completed UI features. I remember it like it was yesterday.



Yeah, so I left the 2-4-8-10, a leave I had only spared once in my life, on the first shot. I was not expecting this to be my high game at this point. I remember the pinsetter even knocked over one of the pins, and I had to call the front desk to have the leave re-spotted. I made a joke about it being a waste of time to re-spot since I was only going to miss it anyway.

As you can see, the 2-4-8-10 is a split, and my application can determine a split and provides a visual indication similar to today's automatic scoring systems.



But lo and behold, I spared it.



You may notice that I diverge from the behavior exhibited by most automatic scoring systems in regards to updating the score for a frame after a mark. I think most scoring implementations were too infatuated with the paper and pencil scoring metaphor. I personally want as much explicit information as possible when I am bowling.



So, I settled in and threw the ball really well for the rest of the game and continued striking. And that is the story of the first time I shot 290. I have done it since leaving a 10-pin in the first frame which I obviously converted.

3 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

i'm currently a 225 bowler, and have been for weeks. Deal with it, sucka.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger gus away from the metroplaza said...

This app is unbelievably awesome. I'm curious how you're going to work the input on your phone. Can you just assign each of the phone keypad buttons to do something in the app or is it going to have to be highlight and select?

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Jim B said...

I am planning to have all of the pin toggle buttons to be mapped to numbers. I may have to go highlight and select for the other buttons, but I also might revise the UI to have the other buttons become menu items.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home